Tuesday, October 9, 2007

FAQ

FAQ about my upcoming Peace Corps service in Namibia:

1. How long will you be gone?

I will be gone for 27 months, returning home in December 2009. See the previous post for my timeline.

2. Will you come home at all during this time?

Probably not. I’d have to pay for it myself and I’d rather spend my money exploring Africa while I’m there.

3. Will you be getting paid?

I will be earning a enough money each month to cover basic expenses such as food and rent, but probably not enough to save much unless I really watch it. However, I accrue just over $200 per month while I'm there, and I will recieve this money at my close of service; approx. $6000.00. This is my resettlement allowance so that when I come home, I do have money for rent and food.

4. What will you be doing?

I will be an English (language) teacher at the primary or secondary level, which is grades 5-12. I will also have secondary projects, to be determined upon arrival and during my service.

5. Are you scared?

Yes. I am scared to death. (I am not being sarcastic.)

6. Is your boyfriend going with you? Is he allowing you to go?

No, Scott is not coming with me but we will try our best to maintain a long-distance relationship. (We have been together for five years.) And no, he is not "letting" me go; I never asked his permission.

7. Is anybody coming with you that you already know?

No, but I will meet my co-volunteers at staging (orientation) and hopefully they will become friends.

8. Will you have to learn a new language?

Yes. Namibia's official language is English, but most people speak Afrikaans or a tribal language as their first language. I'll be learning one of these during my training.

9. What do your parents think?

They are happy, proud and very supportive.

10. Why are you joining the Peace Corps?

a) To help other people. Is it really fair that I have more than a human would ever need? I have never gone hungry and never lacked an education, a job, nor the opportunities to get a better education and a better job if I so desired. I know that by going to Namibia, I will not be saving the world, but I do hope to even out the balance a teeny bit.

b) Adventure. I have never done anything exciting or scary. My world has always been a small bubble with wistful glimpses to the outside. Eleanor Roosevelt said, "do one thing every day that scares you." By going to Namibia for 2 years I will try to make up for 25 years of doing NOTHING that scares me. And by doing this, I hope to break through some personal barriers. More on this later on.

c) My resume. By being able to say "I was a Peace Corps Volunteer," I will be able to earn scholarships for grad school, get super jobs and give myself more opportunities in general.



No comments: